mkpiry

Doomsday Book
Connie Willis
Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail
Cheryl Strayed
Birthmarked - Caragh M. O'Brien I received an advanced copy through Goodreads and because nothing was really grabbing my attention reading-wise, started it immediately. Thank goodness for Saturday nights with nothing going on because I read it straight through.

This is dystopian fiction so you have your standard elements: an elevated level of society seemingly perfect (but hiding a big, dark secret), a lower class being exploited and chaffing under the oppression & a rumored group hiding out somewhere in the wasteland. But the author's take and inventions kept it from feeling 'been there, done that' with the plot.

I think what I liked most was Gaia herself. Her actions never frustrated me to where I thought, "Come on, wise up!" and wanted to shake her.

Katniss

Sure, she made mistakes, struggled and endured loss but everything she did rang true to me. Once the action picked up I was reading to see what happened next till the end. Although everything was wrapped up sufficiently for the story, I hope another book is in the works because I would very much like to know what happens to everyone.