I think I read too, too many rave reviews about this one and my expectations were too, too high.
Good things about this book:
- very creepy post-apocalyptic world (I am not thinking too much about some of the developments because it will keep me up at night, seriously)
- believable kickass heroine
- motivations of most characters rang true to me
Not-so-Good things about this book:
- Raffe didn't do much for me, his verbal sparring with above mentioned kickass heroine was cut from the usual "I am too cool for school" cloth. (Although, the last 1/4 of the book I started to warm to him, probably because there was some actual personal information given)
- I think the editing was my biggest complaint, I wanted it to be tighter. After coming off Daughter of Smoke and Bone where the writing really stuck with me, what I remember about Angelfall was the world building
So even after all this and the just average rating, I will probably read the next one because that last 1/4 peaked my interest and I think all of the groud work from book one will pay off.
Also, mark my words, Penryn's "crazy" mom is going to mean something...